Monday, January 23, 2017

                                                            WHINE # 72

WINE TASTING IN SOUTH AFRICA:   My experience with South African wines is relatively limited, largely due to the paucity of decent SA wines available in Nova Scotia.  Thus, I had been looking forward for some time for the chance to taste some of the better wines from this part of the world.

We arrived in South Africa on January 2 and on our first night in Cape Town we ate in a fabulous restaurant, and had a great wine chosen more-or-less by random from an extensive wine list.  The waiter said I made a very good choice, but when is a waiter going to say:  "Why did you pick that one, it's awful?"

The next day we had a full-day tour in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.  Our guide was knowledgeable and also flexible, taking a side trip to the Thelema Winery so I could re-try the wine from the night before.  And it was just as good in the daylight hours.  We also stopped at several wineries in the Stellenbosch area, the most impressive being one owned by the golfer Ernie Els.  The wine tasted great, but it was the beauty of the place that impressed most.

The town of Franschoek is quite beautiful and has a wine train taking passengers through nearby vineyards.  Perhaps next time we might even get to stay there.

What did I  learn about South African wines?  First, some of them are very good, especially if you like New World wines that are full-bodied with lots of flavours.  If you preference is for a thin Old World wine, such as a Pinot from Burgundy then these wines are not for you.  Perhaps what I could suggest is that if you like Australian wines, you probably will like the better wines of South African, even down to the taste of Eucalyptes.

PINOTAGE:  Just as Argentina has Malbec and Chile has Carmenere, South Africa has its own distinct variety.  And, Pinotage was not first developed someplace else.  It is truly an indigenous cross (not a hybrid, although only a botanist knows the difference) between Pinot Noir and Cinsault.  Deep ruby in colour, it has a smoky taste, but also may have too much Acetone, thus sometimes smelling like paint.  Pinotage is not my favorite wine, but so what.

TIDAL BAY:  In a previous blog I touched on wine tasting this past summer in Nova Scotia.  The wine that I liked the best was a Tidal Bay from Grand Pre.  Tidal Bay is Nova Scotia's only appellation wine and is a blend of several obscure varieties.  How good is this wine?  In order to find out  I decided to be objective.  Twice in blind tastings I have paired a Grand Pre Tidal Bay against a better known white.

In late summer I paired Tidal Bay against a standard white Bordeaux.  This tasting occurred at the Maritime Seniors Golf Association annual meet.  After a long day on the golf course a slight majority of golfers preferred the Tidal Bay.  Then at Christmas I paired a Tidal Bay against a Sauvignon Blanc (Nautilaus from New Zealand).  This time sixteen of the blind-tasters chose the Tidal  Bay over the more expensive wine, which was only chosen by five drinkers.   And you thought that  there are no good wines from Nova Scotia.  On the other hand, I have resisted any temptation to put a Nova Scotian red wine up against a known wine from any of the classic red wine countries.

Incidentally Nova Scotia's best selling wine is a sparkler from Benjamin Bridge called Nova Seven.  I find this wine a little sweet for my taste, but the slightly more expensive Benjamin Bridge Classic suits me just fine.

OPIMIAN OFFERING 246:  Only once per year does Opimian offer wines from South America.  I always save my pennies (not that Canadian pennies exist any more) and load up.  There are lots of choices but my favorities are the wines of Cornellana and Casa Nueva.  I recommend 8949 a Syrah/Carmenere and 8961 a Cuvee Gran Reserva.

No comments:

Post a Comment